Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Natural Hair: Tension Method

Hey beauty enthusiasts! It's been a while, but I'm back with a new post. Today I will be discussing the tension method. For my natural peeps or anyone curious about natural hair, this is for you!!! The tension method is when you hold your hair taut, and use a blow dryer to dry your hair. I've seen this method on tons of YT videos, and I really like it. I've been natural for 4 months now, so it was time for me to trim my hair. It was also a way of seeing how much growth I have thus far. I vowed to never use the hair dryer again last year; however, it was the easiest/fastest way for me to stretch my hair.

HOW TO USE THE TENSION METHOD:

You will need:

  • Wide-tooth comb
  • Heat protecting spray
  • Leave-in Conditioner/Moisturizer/Shea Butter for your hair
  • Jojoba Oil or any oil of your choice
  • Clean damp hair
  • Hair dryer
  • PATIENCE!!! (The thicker or length of your hair will determine how long of a process this will take.)
Step 1: Make sure you're working on clean damp hair. Section your hair in four quadrants. (This will make the process go a lot smoother.) 

Step 2: Within each quadrant, begin using small sections and moisturizing them with your leave-in conditioner or whatever you use to keep your hair moisturized. Work the product from root to tip. Spray some heat protectant in your hands and smooth onto your hair. Comb your hair to evenly distribute it. 

Step 3: Hold the section of hair taught and down. Turn the hair dryer on the 'Cool' setting. Begin to move the hair dryer up and the hair about 1 inch away. Continue to hold your hair down, and let the dryer continue on both sides of your hair for 30 seconds. Put the hair dryer on the 'Low' setting for 10 seconds. 

Step 4: The hair dryer may leave your hair feeling a bit dry, so you can add a bit more product to your hair. Apply the oil to your hair, make a two-strand twist and continue until your entire head is complete.

You can tweak the products and the way you use the tension method. This is what works for me. I hope you found this informative, and you try it. 


*BELOW ARE TWO VIDEOS OF ME EXPLAINING THE TENSION METHOD AND THE RESULTS I GOT USING IT.*






No comments:

Post a Comment